Ever since I was a kid I had a fascination with sex. I don’t know why.
When I was nine years old I remember getting so mad at a friend of mine who
said he found a Playboy magazine
behind an apartment complex but threw it away.
Eighth grade was the first time I ever self-abused. Even that phrase
sounds like I’m trying to hide something—using the phrase “self-abuse” while dancing
around the word “masturbation” because somehow it is supposed to sound less degrading.
It doesn’t though, it probably makes it worse. Not too long after that I discovered
pornography on the internet.
I remember finding pictures on a downloading torrent and saving them to
a 3.5 floppy at one in the morning or finding explicit stories and printing
them out to read later when everyone else was out of the house. I loved it. The
thrill. The satisfaction. The relief. It was my escape from a world I thought
was friendless. From eighth to eleventh grade, all I had were—what I then
thought—pity friends: other parents forcing their kids to invite me over to
play, or hearing my mom through my blanket walls in the basement telling my
brothers to invite me along. Four years of being alone and relying on
pornography as my only company.
Somehow in eleventh grade I made some friends and even got a
girlfriend. I still don’t think I appreciate or understand how much my
developing addiction influenced how I interacted with her. My warped sense of
how men used women for sex created a weak foundation for our relationship. I
still regret losing my virginity in a car. I regret nearly every relationship
after that too, all with the same foundation.
After we broke up, I graduated high school a few months later. I
remember the empty feelings pornography left me more than I do the things I
learned in my classes. I had several church leaders ask me about living the law
of chastity. The conversation was the same each time:
“Eric, have you ever looked at pornography?”
“Yes, I have, but I try to avoid it.”
“Well, if you promise to do your best, I think you’ll be ok to get this
recommend for baptisms in the temple.”
“Thanks, I promise I will try my best to not look at it anymore.”
I don’t blame them for my addiction. I do wonder though how my life
would be different if one of them said, “No, you can’t go to the temple. I’m
not going to let you until we tackle this thing head on.” That day finally came
after five years when I sat in my bishop’s office to see if I could graduate
from the four years of seminary I attended at 6:00 AM every morning in high school.
He told me I couldn’t graduate, but I should still go to the graduation to
support my friends.
I didn’t go. What friends?
Somehow I managed to stop in order to go on my mission. The same bishop
who told me I couldn’t graduate seminary was the one sending me off. As much as
I tried to reassure him that I was clean and hadn’t relapsed and was really
sorry, I still don’t think he was totally convinced or felt comfortable letting
me go. I did go, and I’m glad I did.
That is not to say, however, that I was clean my entire mission. Of all
the memories I have from serving a mission, only two stand out vividly. Once in
Marysville after my year-mark I sat outside my apartment telling my mission president that I
relapsed again, and he telling me it was ok and to move on. The other in Sammamish
when I had three months left, I kept trying to get call him again to tell
him I no longer believed any of the stuff I was teaching, and I wanted to go
home. I never got a hold of him. I decided to stay rather than face the social pressure of answering the
question, “Why did you come home early?”
When I got home, I didn’t have a girl waiting for me, I had an
addiction waiting for me. I went to BYU-Idaho without a testimony but with an addiction.
Less than eight months later, my addiction led me to a greater mistake of
meeting a random woman online in a hotel room in Idaho Falls. Two weeks later I
was disfellowshipped and driving back to Maryland.
From all of these experiences so far, I learned one very important
detail: I have an incredibly loving family. Both of my brothers opened their
homes to me and listened to me. Both of my sisters who knew little of what was
happening gave me shoulders to cry on and ears to listen. My parents—where
would I be without them? I called my dad telling him I had been disfellowshipped,
and he said, “It’s ok, son. Come home.” If there is one thing I want to give my
children, it’s a safe place to land when they make a mistake. My mom and dad
are truly incredible people who love me unconditionally. I am forever in their
debt for that.
After months and months of meeting with my patient bishop and after a
failed engagement to a girl (another relationship with a weak foundation), I
was refellowshipped into the church. It was an incredible feeling to be back,
to have a temple recommend again, to have some self-confidence in my own
testimony and spirituality.
It didn’t take very long to relapse.
I got my temple recommend back in 2009, and for two more years I didn’t
have the motivation to fight off my addiction any longer. Then on March 26,
2011, after months of emailing each other and rekindling a friendship, I drove
from Rexburg to Provo to meet Crystal. I knew I wanted to date her the moment
she opened her door.
Now, I thought, I had motivation. I still relapsed from time to time
while we dated and even after we got engaged, but I knew that if I wanted this
relationship to work, it had to be different than all of my other
relationships. It was, and for the first time, I felt happy in what I now
realize to be my first ever healthy relationship with a woman. I told her
everything. I gave up my addiction for her.
On October 8, 2011, we got married in the Columbia River Temple in
Washington. I had no idea how much damage a lifetime fascination with sex and a
twelve-year addiction to pornography would have on my own self-image and my relationship
with my wife. I thought I would be free from my addiction to pornography
forever once I got married, despite consistent warnings I’ve heard all my life.
I didn’t relapse for nearly a year after we got married, but then I
gave into pornography again. I struggled with it by myself for over a year. She
couldn’t put a name on it, but I know that Crystal was struggling with my addiction
too. I didn’t have the courage to tell her about it.
It ate at me. It devoured me. I’ve never felt more miserable in my
life. Day after day I struggled to keep myself in check, promising myself after
every relapse that it was the last time, that I would tell her tomorrow. I read
and read and read about new studies explaining just how addictive pornography
was to a person. Posting articles on Facebook somehow convinced me that I would
be redeemed. Being open about my past, but cementing off the present, made me
feel less worse about my active addiction.
Then Claire was born on October 18, 2013. Surely, I thought to myself,
this would be my catalyst for purging my addiction. For a week, it was. Less
than a month after she was born, I was deeper than ever. I could feel myself
spiraling into an all-too-familiar isolated abyss.
One day, I broke down. I couldn’t do it anymore. I had to tell Crystal,
and through a tear soaked pillow, I did. For a long time I’ve thought the unconditional
love from my parents could not be surpassed. I doubted how much Crystal could
love me, but when I told her I knew I could never doubt her love again.
Crystal’s empathy and love for me made me feel again. She understood
me. She didn’t show the disgust I felt I deserved. She held me, and she cried
with me. Since then she has supported me and helped me to talk openly about how
much pornography warped me. I’d like to say that I have been clean since I told
her, but I haven’t. I relapsed once, but she knows, and she still loves me.
I hate pornography.
I hate how pornography crushes my self-confidence about being a good
husband.
I hate how pornography crushes my self-confidence about being a good
dad.
I hate how pornography bolsters my confidence in my own intelligence,
which only makes me think I can get through it alone.
I hate how pornography isolates me.
I hate how pornography warps what it means for me to be a man.
I hate how pornography warps how I view women.
I hate how pornography cost me years of healthy development in
relationships, self-image, and spirituality.
I hate how pornography makes me constantly aware of all my failures.
I hate how pornography makes me feel guilty every time I receive a compliment.
I hate how pornography makes me feel guilty every time I kiss my wife.
I hate how pornography makes me feel completely unworthy to hold my daughter.
I do know this, though: I know that the only way to cope with my
addiction to pornography is to be open and honest.
Here I am: my name is Eric James Stephens. I’ve had my addiction to pornography
since I was 13—more than half of my life—and pornography has had a vice-like
grip on my life for far too long.
I will always have my addiction to pornography, but there are two
things that will always help me to cope: love and honesty.
I know my family loves me.
I know my wife loves me.
I know my daughter loves me.
I know that I love them.
I know that I need to love myself, and one day, maybe not today, that
will happen again.
No comments:
Post a Comment