I posted on Facebook yesterday about my experience as Gospel Doctrine
Teacher for a week. My Dad emailed me and asked me what happened, so I thought
I'd share it with those who want to know more.
So I was called to teach gospel doctrine and my first lesson was #33,
"Sharing
the Gospel with the World." The purpose of the lesson was this: “To
encourage class members to fulfill their responsibilities as latter-day Israel
to love all the people of the world and share the blessings of the gospel with
them." I shared this with my class.
This is a lesson we've all heard about missionary work, but I took a
different angle, especially with what's going on with some close friends and
family. Rather than reciting the standard, "Let's go do missionary
work" in the traditional sense, I focused on how to share the gospel with
people who have left the church. I began my lesson with my testimony: that I am
unsure about the gospel, God, Christ, and Joseph Smith, but I hope with all of
my heart that it is true.
Then I explained a trend I've seen in the gospel. The prophets teach
doctrine, but that doctrine struggles to be communicated purely when it comes
to the local level because we add our own twists on things. As Latter-day
Saints, we need to ask hard questions and close the gap between what is taught
from the prophets and what is taught from local leadership. The only way to do
so is to ask those questions with humility. What is just as scary as people
asking those questions without the spirit and leaving are the people who don’t
ask any questions at all. This is where the parable of the Ten Virgins (Matt. 25:1-12) comes
into play: 50% of active, temple-going, tithe-paying, members of the church
will not be ready for the coming of the Lord because they didn’t ask questions.
(I suggested that one of the ways false doctrine begins and spreads is
when a teacher is asked a question in Sunday School and doesn't know the answer
but tries to answer it anyways. I suggested that it is ok to not know the
answer, and we are counselled to ask questions.)
I continued my lesson about Jonah and the
whale and how he was angry with the Lord for eventually forgiving the
people of Nineveh after Jonah taught them. I asked the class to think of times
when they are angry with someone and then try to understand why they are angry.
I taught them that anger is a secondary emotion, and we always feel an emotion
before we feel anger. So that begs the question: what do we feel before we feel
anger towards others?
I then turned to the practical part of the lesson. On each building it
has the words engraved in stone, "Visitors
Welcome." I asked the class if we really believe that. I asked them
how we would feel if someone different than us wanted to worship with us. Or
someone with a different lifestyle with which we disagree. I used a concrete
example of an openly gay couple wanting to sit in sacrament meeting. I said that
they didn't want to be baptized, and we wouldn't let them because they aren't
living our standards, but they do want to experience the church, so do we
accept them? (I also referenced Pres. Uchtdorf’s talk “Come,
Join with Us.”) I had one student share how happy she was when her brother
and his partner came to church for her daughter's baby blessing. It was really
cool.
Then I had someone ask if we should love and accept ISIS if they burst
through the door with a bomb. After internally sighing, I said it does depend
on their intent, and we are also asked to defend ourselves. Then I said God
commands us to love everyone (Matt. 22:36-39)
and forgive everyone (D&C
64:10). It is up to God to judge them. He said, "I'd rather bomb them
into spirituality." I told him he is welcome to believe that, but he
should remember that he is also responsible for the choices he makes concerning
the salvation of other people. I ended the class testifying that we need to not
only engrave "Visitors Welcome" on our buildings, but we need to
engrave it in our hearts as well.
Since Sacrament meeting is last, I had not yet been sustained and would
be right after class. I wasn't. The next Sunday I was called into the bishop's
office.
I sat down with the bishop and a counselor. They asked me what I taught
and why I taught it. I explained it to them like I did above. What happened
next was really frustrating. The bishop seemed really appreciative of my
lesson. He said that he feels my type of teaching should happen more often and
people should be faced with the parts of the gospel that sometimes make them
uncomfortable. He told me he likes the way I teach and how I am able to
articulate certain aspects of the gospel in a way that makes sense to people.
Then he told me he had several people come talk to him about my lesson,
but he didn't go into specifics as to what they said. He simply told me that
they decided to not extend the calling to me. He asked me how I felt. First I
explained that the scripture that came to my mind was in 1 Nephi 16:2
about how the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, and it's sad that people use
that scripture to talk about other people and not themselves. Then I told him
that there is a trend in the church right now separating the culture of the
church with the doctrine of the church, and I whole-heartedly believe that he
is making a decision based on the culture of the church and not the doctrine.
He kind of smiled and said, "See, this is why I like the way you teach.
There aren't many people who would come in here and tell us things like
this." He then went on to explain that if it were up to him, he would have
me teach because he feels people really need to hear the gospel in the way I
teach it. He repeated this sentiment several times throughout the conversation.
I finally interrupted him and said, "Bishop, I would regret leaving here
and not saying this: this is your decision. You keep saying 'If this was up to
me,' but it is up to you. This is your decision." He smiled again and
reaffirmed that this is why he likes me.
He asked what I thought other people would think. I explained that I
told them I was being called to be the gospel doctrine teacher since the
counselor said I could tell them. I suggested that the people who are paying
attention to what's going on will see that this is a decision based on culture
and not doctrine, and the other people will say, "Good. I didn't like his
lesson anyways." He said he was afraid that this might happen. I told him
again that it is his decision to make.
He asked me how I would be, and what I thought of how people thought of
me. I reassured him that how other people think of me is last on my list of
things I care about. It's partially the reason I am able to say the things I
can say. As for me, I am mostly disappointed. It sucks that it's such blatant,
admitted evidence of what I feared about the ward, that the culture is more
important than the doctrine. They asked if I'd accept a different calling, to
which I said no. They want me to continue bringing up things like this as a
student, but not a teacher, and how much they are worried about me. It was frustrating.
They said I could always come and talk to them, so I offered the same in
return. If they ever need someone to talk to in order to get a different view,
I'd be willing.
Later that same day after church someone came and told me how many
people are worried about me, how their hearts "bleed for me," and how
much they are all praying for me. I didn't know how to take it. It was a very
odd feeling.
Anyways, I've talked a lot about it with Crystal, and I've decided to
take a break from Sunday School and Priesthood. I tried going yesterday, but I
was just really annoyed and frustrated. I saw the same counselor and the bishop
in the hallway and just turned around to avoid them. I'm not leaving the church
at all, but for right now it is best for me to take a break. Crystal was
struggling with it quite a bit when we first talked about it, but she agrees
that I need some space first. Crystal is still struggling with it, but I cannot express just how grateful I am to her for being so understanding and supportive of me during this growing phase of my testimony. I am incredibly lucky to have such a wonderful woman as my wife.
After talking with her, I’ve decided to refocus my attention on my personal prayers and scripture study. For the past few months I've been going to church frustrated with what I thought was a culture dominating doctrine ward, and it hurt for it to be so bluntly affirmed. I want to go to church and feel the spirit, but for me to do that I need a break.
After talking with her, I’ve decided to refocus my attention on my personal prayers and scripture study. For the past few months I've been going to church frustrated with what I thought was a culture dominating doctrine ward, and it hurt for it to be so bluntly affirmed. I want to go to church and feel the spirit, but for me to do that I need a break.
6 comments:
Eric, that was exceedingly well done. You were bold, clear, and correct. Unfortunately, that man is a coward. I have known bishops who were not such, but none that are currently serving, more's the pitty.
A mutual friend pointed me to this blog post. I'm very sorry to hear this happened, both for you and for the ward where you live. I hope you can take the bishop at his word and keep bringing him your different perspective. Perhaps it will give him the strength to take proactive steps instead of capitulating to the more traditionally (culturally) minded. In my opinion, he's sent a strong, wrong signal about what is acceptable in Sunday School teaching.
We've faced some similar challenges in our ward, but I've been happy with how the bishop has handled things (for the most part). Some traditionally minded members have voiced their complaints, but the bishopric has responded by calling 6 gospel doctrine teachers - 3 each for two different classrooms - so that we can have a range of teaching and teachers, so everyone can attend a class which meets their needs. Separation isn't my ideal end result, but it's not a bad transition strategy - especially because it signals the bishopric's support for all kinds of teachers. Perhaps something that, eventually, you can recommend your bishop considering?
Wishing you the best in this very difficult situation and period. I hope the sacrament meetings are good.
Eric, I"m so sorry this has happened to you. Mormon Culture is a curious thing, and it is a frustrating part of our lives. Stay strong - you have fought to get to a good place, and I hope your break isn't for too long. Perhaps attend another ward for a bit - you are loved by us and by your Heavenly Father. You will get there, I know it. I was so very happy to be with you in the temple last month. The gospel is true. Sadly, some people aren't so much. XXOO from us
First of all you know that I love you and your family. I can't feel your struggles because I haven't had that exact experience but I have felt the frustration that comes with not understanding reasonings from the Priesthood. What I don't understand is why the Bishop said that if it were up to him etc. Why didn't he take it to our Heavenly Father and let that be the deciding answer? I am not in a place to give you advice I have been having my own struggles with decisions by my priesthood leaders and fear that if we dwelled too much on our frustrations that we wouldn't be able to build each other up. The Church as we call it is a family, be careful in taking a break from your families, sometimes that is what we need to keep up hanging on. I love you and I love Crystal, this has to be hard on you both. Claire and Crystal need a strong priesthood presence in their home. If you need to come back to our ward, I will adopt you and maybe we could become stronger together.
Hey!!! This really reminds me of the mission again...reaffirming for me that God calls imperfect people to do specific jobs. The ward just wasn't ready for you! It sucks that it happened, but I feel like it's happening a lot more. Stay Strong! You have our love!
-Michaela and Jared
At one point during my disaffection a close friend gave me a note that simply read, "Doctrine is not foundational, Christ is." I did not understand it for a long time, but increasingly I am convinced. When it comes down to it, everything that we teach doctrinally or culturally, prophetically or otherwise are commentaries and appendages on that foundation. While it is nice to think about celestial degrees of glory and sealings and words of wisdom etc etc etc, it can, has and will change depending on the culture and perspective of those in power (at any level). Admittedly, that fact is what ultimately broadened my perspective about religion and spirituality and may very well have invalidated my voice in the community, but I have found that it has made me a happier person, if not a happier Mormon. It is hard to argue that your perspectives and views fit neatly into the mainstream, orthodox Mormon institution, but I hope you feel a closer affinity toward spectacular people like Pope Francis who unabashedly promote advocacy of the poor, destitute, and downtrodden in the tradition of Christ himself.
Post a Comment