Sunday, April 4, 2010

On Cynicism


Last week, the Scroll (BYU-Idaho’s prestigious student newspaper) published an article about how women find athletic men more attractive. I wrote a letter to the editor, which was published. Here it is:

When I read the Scroll, I try not to be cynical. However, with articles like “Women Find Athletic Men More Attractive,” I can’t help it. Let it be known, I am not an athletic person. In fact, I am even a little chubby. This is not why I decided to write this. I decided to write this because if I were to submit an article entitled “Men Find Women Who Know How to Cook More Attractive” and provided a chart with the most popular meals men enjoy eating, there would most likely be a female powered uprising if it ever got published. And let’s be honest, it never would.

Also, it doesn’t really send the most positive message to guys. What about the musician and drama dudes always hanging out in the Snow, the scrawny emo kid with the hair and skinny jeans, or the skater guy cruising around with a long board? I know quite a few women who think those guys fulfill the “hubba-hubba” factor more than athletes.

In addition, the quotes used were a tad bit naïve. “’He has to be athletic because it’s a sign of success.’” Success of what? Throwing a football? (Which apparently is a must or else it is a “huge turn-off”). I hope she did not mean success in important things like raising a family or maintaining a job to support them.

I have no doubt that the article is sincere, and unfortunately, many women probably agree with it. Next time, put it in the Opinion section. Or maybe put an article next to it showing which waist size men find more attractive.

I actually received quite a few compliments from students in my classes, which was rad. When they published it though, they cut out the part about the cooking. And they took out the from “the Scroll.” So it read, “When I read Scroll….” This only added to my cynicism.

I try to be positive when it comes to not being cynical. But it is hard. I don’t think I am an arrogant person; however, this habit doesn’t really support my claim. I’ll keep trying.

3 comments:

GSTPHNS said...

Eric, I love it. And I'm pretty sure that even if women do find athletic men more attractive, they sure aren't dating them just because of their athletic skills. I'm not really sure what this girl's point was by writing an entire article on something that really has no point or validity. Who cares if women find athletes more attractive? What purpose does this article serve other than to degrade some men, while maybe boosting some other mens' ego?

It's unfortunate that they cut out the part about cooking. While it may have been a saving act for you in the category of "Cynicism/Sarcasm", it takes away some of the brutal truth of just how ridiculous this article really is...

Anyway, Way to go. I love it.

Naomi said...

Funny thing is I've always been attracted to humor before looks. In fact that was why I started liking Danny was because he was funny. Until I got to know him I didn't like him at all (he didn't like me either come to think of it).
I agree with you, and the person who wrote the article was probably a tad on the shallow side.

meghan & jason said...

They actually took out the part about women cooking? Seriously? That is horrible. You are 100% correct to write such a response. I am embarrassed that article was published at a university, let alone one that is supposed to stand for values. I. How shallow can we get?