The cold apple juice in my cup stung my teeth as it passed down my throat. I rested my chin on my flattened hands; my graham cracker afterschool snack stared back.
“Mom,” I mumbled through clenched teeth. “I don’t have any friends at school. I want to go back to Utah. The other kids in my class liked me there.”
She sighed. “Honey, we can’t go back. Fifth grade is a tough thing, but I know you will make friends.”
“How though, Mom?” I shot my head up, and my spine paralleled the chair’s back. “No one talks to me, and everyone lives so far away.”
“Well, Eric. What would you like me to do about it? Have you looked around your classroom to see if there are any other kids sitting alone? Have you tried being their friend?”
“No.” I plopped my head back onto my hands and finished my graham crackers, feeding them into my mouth like a wood chipper.
* * *
Once again, I shuffled into the door coming home from the bus stop, I followed the same routine. I said hello to my mom, ate a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich, and then moped downstairs to my room. Our unfinished basement seemed dismal with different colored blankets hanging from the ceiling beams, acting as walls. I dragged myself to my corner of the basement and flung aside the bright Mexican blanket used for my door. The cement floor was cold when I took of my shoes, as usual.
The beam of light spilling through the crack of cardboard, which covered the small window, overpowered the artificial light. I grabbed a green tote to stand on to block it out with an old sheet. Then I methodically climbed into bed to take a nap. It was 4:30 in the afternoon; I wasn’t tired.
The low hum of the dryer stopped, and within a few minutes my mom crept down the stairs avoiding the especially creaky sides of certain steps. She rotated the laundry and began to fold it. The smell of Downy permeated my blanket-thin walls. I still wasn’t tired.
A moment later, someone burst down the stairs.
“Mom, have you washed my Less Than Jake shirt by chance? I can’t find it.” It was my older brother, Cory.
“Yes, I folded it this morning. It should be on your bed,” my mom replied.
“Thanks.” I could hear him begin to walk towards his corner of the basement.
“Wait, Cory. Come here, I want to talk to you for a minute about something.”
My ears perked up a little. She spoke softer. I listened harder. I gently separated a crack in the blanket wall where a safety-pin was missing. I saw my brother sitting on the laundry table, arms folded, and my mom leaned against the dryer, arms folded.
“But, Mom, he is my little brother.”
“Cory, I know. It has been three years since we moved here from Utah, and you have already made lots of friends in church and in school. There aren’t any kids his age in our ward, and this is his first year in high school.”
“Well, what about Bryce and Shiloh? They are his age and in our ward.”
“They live quite a ways away. Bryce has been nice, but doesn’t invite him to a lot of things. Shiloh goes to North Carroll. And you know that he barely made any friends at West Middle. All I am asking is that you invite him with you a couple of times. Not every time, but just invite him.”
Cory continued to stare at an unmatched sock in the corner of an otherwise empty basket.
“Fine.”
“Thank you. I know it will mean a lot to him.” They both loaded their arms with clothes and walked upstairs.
I sighed. Of course my mom would want me to tag along with my older brother rather than take a three hour nap every day after school. As I tumbled back onto my bed and pulled the comforter over my head, I tried to list off the friends I acquired the past three years. Even now, I can’t remember the names of the four fingers I held up.
* * *
A few months later, I arrived home to an empty house. Once again I was drawn to the computer. My addiction to pornography started with a few short glances at “mistyped” web sites in the search engines. Somehow I thought that if it was accidental, it was ok.
Too often I found myself alone with a computer. Eventually, I began to look for those opportunities to be alone. I had nowhere else to go. Not being invited to parties didn’t bother me so much anymore. My addiction became the constant in my life. It always offered comfort; although, it was only temporary. Something I could not find elsewhere.
* * *
I started dating Catherine the summer before our senior year of high school. For the first time I could remember, I found someone who wanted to know me because I was me—not someone’s younger brother.
One Friday morning when I picked her up from her house, she came outside crying. Even with the windows down, silence absorbed the car. I rested my right hand on her thigh removing it only to shift.
I parked the car in the lot. “Catherine, what happened?”
“Eric, I would rather live with my physically abusive father, than deal with the crap that comes out of my mom’s mouth.”
I leaned to her side of the car and held her; it’s all I knew how to do. We were late to homeroom that morning.
She confided in me, something that was new for me. She became my best friend. The first friend I had after seven years of living in Maryland. I loved her. My only other connection was to my addiction. Despite its consistency, I tried to turn my back to it and look towards Catherine for that connecting feeling. I found it; however, by this point, my addiction convinced me that the only relationship I needed was a physical connection.
My addiction had a new face, but this time I wasn’t the only one slowly deteriorating because of it. Catherine and I broke up two weeks before graduation.
* * *
I met Rosemary while Elder Walsh and I tracked down part-member families. Her husband, Brian, was inactive and wanted to remain that way. But Rosemary needed more for her and their eighteen-month-old daughter, Lily.
On a Tuesday night Rosemary had to cancel an appointment because Lily was sick. Elder Walsh and I drove to the store and bought a can of Dora the Explorer chicken noodle soup and a matching balloon. When we knocked on her door to give the get-well package to Lily, Rosemary flustered us with “thank-yous.” Three months later she asked me to baptize her and offer the baby blessing for Lily in sacrament meeting. She wrote me a thank-you note when I left Snohomish. I put it in my journal, and I called her from Monroe on her birthday.
Less than a year later, I sat in President Showalter’s office the night before my plane home. The carpet was thick, and so were his socks. I didn’t hear him come into the room until the door closed behind him.
At the end of the short exit interview, he leaned back into his chair. “Elder Stephens, I know that I have only been here for two months, but I am thankful that you served here for two years. And I want you to be certain you understand something. Whatever Satan tempted you with before your mission, he is going to try harder to tempt you with the same thing when you get home. Be careful.”
I flew home the next morning. I counted the number of friends who wrote me while I lived in Washington. I held up the same four fingers, but this time they had names I remembered. All of them had stopped writing after thirteen months. President Showalter assured me that only one thing would be waiting for me when I got home. It did.
I forgot about Rosemary. I only think about her when I reflect on my mission; I rarely do.
* * *
I sat on the chair against the support beam in the Writing Center with a book faced down on my lap. I watched the students, tutors, and the other assistants belong. I watched them make plans, plans that wouldn’t fall through.
Ivor and Chandler were standing at the desk.
“Hey, Eric. Where are you living next semester?”
“I dunno, probably stay at Harris Hall. I’m not on track, so I’m still not sure.”
Ivor jumped in, “We know a guy that has a duplex called the Abode House. Dan, Chandler, and I are going to live there. We need two more guys, wanna live with us? We are going to go take a look at it right now.”
“It’s called the ‘Abode House’? Well, that is sort of redundant,” I replied.
“We are hoping that it comes with some chair seats. That would be a-mazing.”
* * *
I sat in another office, this one with windows. Sister Morgan swiveled her chair left and right with her foot. With her legs crossed, she held this essay in her hand.
She tilted her head to the right and squinted her eyes, “Eehhhh-mmmm… I don’t think this is the ending. It’s not quite there. There has to be more. You can’t feel this was just because of your addiction to pornography. An addiction is just another mask we use to hide ourselves. Everyone has some sort of addiction. Why do you feel you can’t make connections? Eric, you are an integral part of the Center. I see it every day.”
I focused on the corner of the black desk that held her printer. “I don’t see it.”
3 comments:
I wish you could see the Eric that I see.
The Eric that reaches out to one that needs a friend or one who needs someone to lean on, or one who needs someone in their corner.
The Eric I see makes things happen when it doesn't seem like anyone else cares.
He is able to lift others up better than anyone I know.
When he walks in a room, the whole room seems to smile.
He brings out the good in people.
Gosh, Eric, the list goes on and on. Sister Morgan's comment, about you being an integral part of the center, is what I see, too.
As you know, in my calling with the YW, we focus on 8 values. The first three have everything to do with their identity. If there is anything I wish for you right now, is that YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.
I love you so, so much! Like I said to you earlier, I wish we could have one of our "sit on the sofa and chat" times right now, this very minute.
I love, love, love you.
I agree with Mom.
Growing up, and even today, I am known to many people as "Eric's Little Sister". And it doesn't bother me because so many people see you as a happy, friendly, funny, outgoing guy. They want to be around you because you make them feel important. They want to be around you because you are insightful and sincere when you want to be. Then, you have this ability to make an entire room light up with laughter and excitement.
Eric, if there is anyone I admire, you are among the top of my list. I admire everything about you. There has never been a time in my life when I have begrudged being known as your sister, simply because people love you. If being known as your little sister does anything for me, it just makes me want to be better, more like you.
I want you to know that while I probably would have come to the decision to serve a mission on my own eventually, if it weren't for your comment in the car that one night when you told me that you thought I should serve a proselyte mission, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have known as soon, or as strongly as I did then that that is what Heavenly Father wants me to do.
That discussion scared the crap out of me, and I've had that same discussion with many many people before and since then. But for some reason, it hit me a little harder when it came from you. So thanks.
I love you.
I've always thought you were the most popular and liveliest of the Stephens. And I think you are pretty amazing.
Danny and I are always telling Eric stories, and telling people how funny and smart you are.
I hope one day you can see what we and other people see.
Post a Comment