Saturday, May 2, 2009

X-Men Origins: Wolverine --- 3.5 out of 5 Eric Stars


I was just as excited as any other movie-goer-but-never-really-read-any-of-the-comic-books type of guy. I enjoyed the other X-Men movies, some more than others, and looked forward to watching the first of many summer blockbusters.

The movie title pretty much gives away most of the plot. Unfortunately, there isn't much else to explain. You learned more about the origins of Wolverine in the first five minutes of opening credits than you do from the rest of the movie. (It was set up the same way as the credits for The Incredible Hulk).

What keeps the movie from receiving fewer Eric Stars are the fight scenes. Well, honestly there were only two. The first repeats itself three times throughout the movie. It consists of Wolverine flaring his knife hands, breathing heavily. Across from him in a bar, or an alley, or a research lab, is his brother, Sabretooth. One jets towards the other, his opponent leaps into the air, and then they crash into each other. It got old. However, the last fight scene was done very well. Mutant 11 versus Wolverine and Sabretooth. Very cool. It reminded me of the first five minutes of X-Men 2 (the only really cool five minutes of that movie).

The movie script was rather cliche in many places; it is hard to be original with all of the mutant/people with abilities movies/TV shows that are out. There were just too many screen shots of Wolverine walking away from an explosion or into a sunset. And not to sound too picky here, but taking physics into consideration, I don't think Wolverine's inertia could combat the inertia of a speeding Humvee or helicopter. The computer graphics were fun to watch though.

There were a few appearances from other mutants like Cyclopse and Gambit, but not enough. I wish there was a little bit more action from them, especailly Gambit. So much potential for awesome just wasted.

All things considering, the anticipation of the movie held onto too much of the fun. Although, a few places made me swoop my right arm in triumph; and I will forever be jealous of retractable indestructible knife hands.

2 comments:

Deborah said...

HA you are always so hard on movies. I just saw it tonight and I really liked it. Every Man I have talked to so far only thought it was ok. MAybe I'm just easy to please.

Cory "شكري" Stephens said...

I think the scariest part of the whole movie was seeing ol' Patty Stewart with his computer genereted young face. Man, freak a brother out!