
I remember as a child wanting to be cool and join my older brother's club, the Star Trek club. All of the kids in the neighborhood were in it, and they collected Star Trek cards; he even had collector dolls. I was never fortunate enough to join and become a "Trekkie." With that being said, I had little exposure to Star Trek throughout my life, but with that little exposure, I was able to enjoy J.J. Abrams Star Trek that much more.
I first saw the preview about nine months ago, and like other Star Trek movies, didn't pay too much attention to it. Then I caught wind that it was directed by J.J. Abrams, creator of Alias and Lost, two of my favorite TV Shows. Every time I saw the preview, I got a little bit more excited.
Using Lost as an experienced background with time travel plots, J.J. Abrams is able to wonderfully create a story line that shouldn't upset Trekkie's all that much. The story takes place in the regular Star Trek world. Then, a lightening storm in space and a crash into a giant space ship later, the Star Trek realm changed forever, an alternate Star Trek reality.
The computer graphics in the movie are astounding. Seeing the U.S.S. Enterprise appear out of warp speed in front of Saturn, watching a Romulan mining ship drill a hole into the planet Vulcan, and see a struggling Vulcan ship try to escape a black hole. All of the scenes created a real sense of belief with Abrams' cinemtography. The scenes looked as if they were filmed on a platform in space and the cameraman trying to get a close up shot, zooming in and out. It reminded me a lot of how space scenes in Firefly were done. I was very impressed that Abrams' didn't pull a Star Wars oopsie-daisy by making all of the star ships super futuristic. I recall from the little I did watch of the original Star Trek, the space ships being somewhat boxy. Abrams kept them boxy.
I loved the script. Spock as a Vulcan must remain calm and collected at all times, it is the Vulcan way; but if it the right way is up to the viewer. It challenged a new way of thinking and dealing with emotions. The audience felt and experienced exactly what Abrams wanted them to experience. The audience could be captivated by an intense scene, could burst into laughter, then sucked right back into intensity. There was plenty of small bantering and down right insulting between characters which created light-hearted tension and cold-hearted resentment. Throughout the movie there were quite a few allusions and one-liners that only those who were familiar would fully understand; I am sure many of them flew over my head.
I don't think the movie inspired me to go back and start watching the original Star Trek movies and TV series, but I will definately see this movie again. Abrams' gave it all he's got, and he'll be giving the next one a whole lot more. I'll be anticapting Abrams' next installement, which--lucky for us--is already in the works.
I first saw the preview about nine months ago, and like other Star Trek movies, didn't pay too much attention to it. Then I caught wind that it was directed by J.J. Abrams, creator of Alias and Lost, two of my favorite TV Shows. Every time I saw the preview, I got a little bit more excited.
Using Lost as an experienced background with time travel plots, J.J. Abrams is able to wonderfully create a story line that shouldn't upset Trekkie's all that much. The story takes place in the regular Star Trek world. Then, a lightening storm in space and a crash into a giant space ship later, the Star Trek realm changed forever, an alternate Star Trek reality.
The computer graphics in the movie are astounding. Seeing the U.S.S. Enterprise appear out of warp speed in front of Saturn, watching a Romulan mining ship drill a hole into the planet Vulcan, and see a struggling Vulcan ship try to escape a black hole. All of the scenes created a real sense of belief with Abrams' cinemtography. The scenes looked as if they were filmed on a platform in space and the cameraman trying to get a close up shot, zooming in and out. It reminded me a lot of how space scenes in Firefly were done. I was very impressed that Abrams' didn't pull a Star Wars oopsie-daisy by making all of the star ships super futuristic. I recall from the little I did watch of the original Star Trek, the space ships being somewhat boxy. Abrams kept them boxy.
I loved the script. Spock as a Vulcan must remain calm and collected at all times, it is the Vulcan way; but if it the right way is up to the viewer. It challenged a new way of thinking and dealing with emotions. The audience felt and experienced exactly what Abrams wanted them to experience. The audience could be captivated by an intense scene, could burst into laughter, then sucked right back into intensity. There was plenty of small bantering and down right insulting between characters which created light-hearted tension and cold-hearted resentment. Throughout the movie there were quite a few allusions and one-liners that only those who were familiar would fully understand; I am sure many of them flew over my head.
I don't think the movie inspired me to go back and start watching the original Star Trek movies and TV series, but I will definately see this movie again. Abrams' gave it all he's got, and he'll be giving the next one a whole lot more. I'll be anticapting Abrams' next installement, which--lucky for us--is already in the works.
1 comment:
I love Alias!!!!! Omg Eric we have not discussed our mutual love for this show I do not think!!! That is the main reason why I would end up watching Star Trek- I'm pretty sure JJ Abrams can't do anything badly :)
Post a Comment