So there I was, sitting in my apartment with two textbooks glaring back at me. One was for my business law class, the other for my humanities class. If the two were to get in a fight, the law book would take the other out like Rocky facing Mr. T at the end of the third installment. I dreaded having to read from the law book due to the sudden lack of interest in business; however, as for the other book, the first three pages fascinated me. The author spoke about the importance of having "multiple intelligences" and being a well rounded individual. It reminded me of a conversation I had with my older brother Cory. I was faced with a decision to either start working immediately after returning from the mission, or I could go to school and learn and "do the college thang." He explained to me that too many people lose sight as to what the purpose of a university is. When we go to a university, we do not go to become proficient in one area of schooling, that is what graduate school is for. We go to learn universal knowledge, meaning lots of different things about lot of different topics.
Once again I was staring at another major decision, in what shall I major? Since the year before the mission I had committed to become a business major, get some experience with a founded company, then either take that one over through corporate sabotage or start my own and proceed to conquer the business world. So far, the plan was going well. Although, in business 101 we spoke very little of how to take over a corporation through sabotage--in fact we spoke very little about business. (I would have to go to a secular school in order to take that class. But I could be patient). I had worked for small business owners before through various sales jobs and the potential income was both lucrative and enticing.
A hidden desire was creeping through to foil my plans. Ever since I was the kid who volunteered for both of my little sisters' elementary school field day, I have been told I would make a great teacher. During my calling for last semester, a gospel doctrine teacher, I had many friends come and thank me for my lessons and quite a few told me I should become a seminary teacher. Teaching is my Crouching Tiger, my Hidden Dragon, the key to my brother's car. All of them lost, just waiting to be found. The humanities textbook was my X on the map!! Now that I had a better understanding of what I wanted to do with my life, I had to hurdle a few road blocks. Such as my no longer lucrative and enticing income.
The next decision is what to teach. I love history. However, I am also a big fan of the language of my mission, English. Seriously though, after two years of speaking it while I was in Washington, I became somewhat proficient. With history, I would become knowledgeable about history. But my X on the map shouted that I wanted to be well rounded, and what do English majors write about?! History, literature, music, drama, business, biology, physics, pretty much everything. Thus I was decided, English Education major with a history education minor!
My new plan is to teach English in a high school while I earn my masters and a phd or two. Maybe write an influential book or four. Then become a college professor and earn that lucrative and enticing income. And if all of that fails, I will start a business or take over an established one. Besides, it isn't what you know in the business world, it's who you know. Having a knowledge of all sorts of things in business is quite effective. Especially since watching Smallville and hearing Lex Luthor and his dad banter back and forth citing ancient history that is relevant to their situation. Yes, that is my plan B goal, become Lex Luthor from Smallville.
1 comment:
Finally a new blog and I LOVE it! Good Luck!
Post a Comment