Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Are We Really Bidding Babylon Farewell?

I sit in each of my classes—it dosen’t matter which—and my teachers lecture on the state of the world. Of course the topic would rear its ugly head in my Book of Mormon class. But it seeps into business, English, and even physics! Often we are reminded that the rest of the world shows too much interest in the media. I have listened to this argument in devotionals, general conference, spiritual thoughts, and FHE lessons. It is an absolute outrage that tabloids and fashion magazines sell millions of copies due to a shaved head on Britney Spears, the love triangle between Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, and Jennifer Aniston, and the royal family in England.

I feel so safe from these worries of the world now that I am in my comfy Rexburg, ID home. Until one day it happened. There I was, sitting in the Taylor building on one of the temporal-free couches waiting patiently to enter my Book of Mormon class to reinforce my sanctuary from Babylon. I grabbed the student-produced-BYU-I- staff-supported copy of the Scroll, the campus newspaper. I opened it ready to be enlightened. As I skimmed over the first page I noticed the newly announced BYU-I presidency assigned to help fortify my soul from the wicked; I also noticed the picture of an older lady in what appeared to be a mug shot. I read the little article to discover that Mary-Anne, from Gilligan’s Island, was busted with possession of marijuana. I was confused as to how this pertained to my eternal glory and salvation. Could it be? Was it happening? Had the Scroll turned into a worldly media conduit? I was shocked, sickened, and disgusted.

The valiant members of the church, students at BYU-I, and their professors (in every bloody class), ask the question, “What is the world coming to?” But nay! The question we should be asking is, “What is the Scroll coming to?”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your first blog, I am now patiently awaiting your next!

Cory "شكري" Stephens said...

I need you to write more.